The A-Z of Information about Palmerston
Welcome to Palmerston District Primary School. We have provided an A-Z of information to assist in a smooth transition to Palmerston Primary School. If you have any further questions, please call the front office on (02) 6205 7241 and they will endeavor to assist you.
Defence School Transition Aide
At Palmerston we are part of the Defence School Transition Aide Program. This position is funded by the Australian Defence Force to help Palmerston’s ADF families and students settle into their new surroundings.
What is the Defence School Transition Aide Program?
The DSTA program provides support for children of Australian Defence Force (ADF) members and their families, particularly during their transition into and out of a school on a posting or during parental absences (deployment, exercises or courses).
What does a DSTA do?
A DSTA provides assistance to ADF children and their families. This may include:
- Assisting ADF parents and children to become familiar with the school and its facilities
- Coordinating appropriate welcoming and fare welling activities for ADF children
- Informing the school and supporting ADF children and families during times of parental absence from home for service requirements e.g. overseas deployments, courses or postings.
- Helping the school community to understand the special needs of ADF parents and their children.
- Helping ADF families with children with special needs
- Assisting families to collect work portfolios and academic records or reports for a new school
- Contributing items of interest to the school newsletter
- Providing opportunities for ADF families within the school community
- Maintaining contact with ADF families who are enrolled in the school
- Assisting all children of ADF families as required, not just one student on a long term basis
Please note that the DSTA is not a teacher.
This appointment is a critical step in acknowledging that children of ADF families sometimes have difficulties making new friends, understanding and adjusting to the different routines of a new school. The DSTA will assist in helping the children overcome these issues and settle in more quickly, as well as putting them in contact with other ADF families in the area. Further information regarding the program can be accessed by contacting the Regional Education Defence Liaison Officer (REDLO) on (02) 62658777.
A request for students’ documentation must be made in writing. If the student has left the school and families require documents to be sent to them, the cost of the postage will be incurred by the family (via COD).